Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller Breaks Top 70 on Steam Greenlight
Phoenix Online Studios’ Moody Point-and-Click Adventure Title Gaining Momentum on Valve’s New Community-Driven Platform
Twain Harte, CA – September 25, 2012 – Reverb Publishing announced today that Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller, one of the first games submitted to the newly-launched Steam Greenlight community, has risen to the top 70 most popular games on the site.
From Phoenix Online Studios, the acclaimed developer behind The Silver Lining, Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller is an engrossing narrative with a truly evocative atmosphere. This chilling point-and-click adventure is a thought-provoking mystery following Erica Reed, a Boston-based FBI agent, haunted by the unsolved case of a serial killer who took her brother’s life. With the use of her post-cognition abilities, – seeing an object’s past with a touch – players are challenged to unravel a complex tableau of characters, plots and puzzles over four episodes.
“As developers, we work to build interest from the gaming community before a new title is released, but Steam has taken that to a whole different level,” said Cesar Bittar, CEO of Phoenix Online Studios. “We are floored by the amazing support and feedback given on Greenlight so far and cannot wait to deliver the first episode of Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller to Steam users.”
Key features include:
- Engrossing, episodic narrative – As an engaging and narrative-driven game, Erica’s story is rife with intrigue and suspense over multiple episodes of thrilling mystery.
- Fully-realized characters – A very talented cast of voice actors helps round out diverse characters with complex motivations. Each new character makes the game that much more dynamic.
- Your choices matter – Branching puzzles have several different ways to be completed and solved, offering unique paths for the player to take as they solve the mystery.
- Mind-bending challenges – This game is easy to pick up and play, but it certainly doesn’t skimp out on the challenging aspects of puzzling. Uncovering clues and putting pieces together make for a trial of one’s intuition and savvy.
- Stunning art – The breath-taking, hand-drawn art evokes the mood of the narrative. Intrinsic to the atmosphere of the game, dark hues paint gruesome scenes vividly.
- All-star dev team – Developed by a true indie “dream team”, the lineup includes comic artist Romano Molenaar (Batman, Witchblade, Tomb Raider, X-Men) as Art Director and renowned adventure game designer Jane Jensen (Gabriel Knight, Gray Matter, and the upcoming Moebius) lending her expertise as Story Consultant.
Launched on August 30, Steam Greenlight creates a democracy of the PC gaming community by allowing users of the popular PC gaming platform to review and vote for the games they are most interested in playing. Steam accepted its first 10 games through the voting process on September 11 and has announced it will accept the next group of games on October 15. For Cognition to be selected in the next group of approved games, it must land in the top 10 on that date.
ABOUT REVERB PUBLISHING:
Launched in 2010, Reverb Publishing offers digital publishing to independent game developers on PlayStation Network, Xbox LIVE Arcade, WiiWare, PC, iOS and Droid, by combining production and business development support paired with the proven public relations and marketing agency expertise from its parent company, Reverb Communications. Reverb Publishing’s unique business model is form fitted for studios, ensuring that they receive the majority of the game’s revenue and maintain ownership of their titles while Reverb handles all the non-developmental tasks includi