1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

MOEBIUS – Terrible disappointment !

Discussion in 'Adventure Games' started by Len Green, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Len Green

Len Green Member

SIRDAVE
    I wouldn't know. I have never used a smart-phone, iPad or even a laptop.
    They all have screens far too small for my macula degenerating eyes to read or see properly - even my pretty large desktop momnitor is only usable with difficulties, sometimes considerable difficulties !
    Incidentally I do't know what Escape-Games are - I don't think that I've got much desire to find out !!

2. Jenny100

Jenny100 Member

As I understand it, you have two problems with the puzzle:
    1. Malachi didn't come straight out and tell you that a hook could be used to open an antique slot lock -- and that Bianca may have used the hook to open her desk lock after losing or breaking the original wooden key.
    2. That the wrong item was depicted -- a normal metal key instead of a hook.

Neither of these is a problem with the puzzle itself. Problem #1 is part of the general problem of comments being offered before or after they should be (and hotspots appearing before they are usable). In this case, Malachi didn't update his comment to match the fact that he could use the hook. Not that an experienced adventure gamer like yourself should need to be told that any narrow object is fair game to try picking a lock with. If you were beta testing, you would want to point out that his comment needed updating after getting the hook (for the sake of beginning adventure gamers). But it's too late to beta test at this point.

Problem #2 is the mistake of displaying the wrong item. I can imagine some artist being given the task of showing the lock being opened without being told what was used to open the lock. So he assumed it would be opened by a normal-looking key -- Not a rectangular wooden slot key (like the original key), and not the hook that Bianca probably used as a replacement for the original key. I doubt the artist knew what a wooden slot key looked like, and for some reason he didn't get the message that it was a hook being used to open the lock instead of any kind of key.

Yes the game is sloppy in a number of ways. But I really don't understand why you're venting about this particular puzzle when the problems you pointed out are a gamewide issue. It's not the puzzle itself that's at fault. It's just a standard lock-opening puzzle similar to many other open-the-lock puzzles in adventure games.

3. Len Green

Len Green Member

I SIMPLY BROUGHT IT UP AS A SINGLE EXAMPLE OF VERY BAD DEVEPMENT AND TESTING.

IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE WHY OR WHEREFORE. WHETHER "LOW BUDJET" IS THE CAUSE, OR A MISUNDERSTANDING WITH AN ARTIST WHO TAKES AN OBVIOUS (BOTH DESCRIPTIVE BRASS AND GRAPHICAL) BRASS KEY FROM INVENTORY AND USES IT TO OPEN A BRAOD NARROW KEY SLOT WHEREAPON YOU SEE QUITE CLEARLY THAT IT IS NO LONGER A HOOK BUT A NORMAL FLAT KEY. aND QUITE FRANKLEY, WHAT HAS A 17TH CENTURY wooden key GOT TO DO WITH THE PRICE OF CHEESE ??
    ******** But WHY OH WHY are you going out on a rotten limb, without any rhyme or reason, to defend& justifying a single puzzle that is so obviously and blatantly bad in several respects - It's not as though you are enamoured of the game in general and don't want to see it criticised - BEATS ME !!
    I HAVE NOT MADE AN ISSUE OF this puzzle - BUT YOU DO NOT SEEM TO THINK THAT THIS TOGETHER WITH SEVERAL OTHER UNREALISTIC OPERATIOJNS IS DETRIMENTAL !! goodness knows why !!
    It really does not 'deserve' wasting further time and energy debating on it.
    We simply have to agree to disagree on the subject !!!
    *~*~*~*~ And so there is (more than) enough on this topic - it is already TOO repetitive !!
    Please let's drop it :) :)
    At any rate, I don't want to add ANYTHING more !!

4. Len Green

Len Green Member

I HAVE NOW READ THROUGH RAY IiVEY'S REVIEW OF MOEBIUS.

Om the whole I agree with it EXCEPT -----------

(A) "I enjoyed the historical research and analysis Malachi does as he works on the mystery. Most of these puzzles involve comparing historical figures with characters in the story. It’s an intriguing idea, and it plays out in entertaining ways."

(B) "The research puzzles are entertaining"..

******** I feel TOTALLY differently about them (as I have said in previous posts !) which may account for the fact that Ray grants the game the equivalent rating of 60% whereas I would only rate it as 50% !!

5. Len Green

Len Green Member

****** I made an enormous number of saves when playing Moebius. Having some free time, I decided to replay various parts of the game from these saves in order to judge if my criticisms hold water. To the best of my knowledge, THEY DO !!
    I reread Ray Ivey's JA review to see how they compare with my reinforced feelings & conclusions !! !
    ****** I agree with MOST of Ray's opinions - but not all !
    ****** His final game-grade OF B is the same as what I would judge the game... It is the 5th down from the very best ( i.e. A+, A, A-, B+, B ) which IMO places it around 50% - inci9dentally, Metacritic gives it a mere 55% (38 critics - the vast majority either negative or mixed !)).
    *************** HOWEVER !!!
    "<RAY>
    The historical research and analysis Malachi does as he works on the mystery. Most of these puzzles involve comparing historical figures with characters in the story. It’s an intriguing idea, and it plays out in entertaining ways".

****** I am very sorry to say that I most certainly did NOT find it "playing out in entertaining ways". In fact exactly the opposite !

Every time I made a short step forward in the game and advanced a little along the interesting narrative, BANG, another wordy and often confusing diversion of a so called data type analysis etc. This happened right throughout the game from the beginning until the end, over & over and even over again until eventually all I wanted to do was to get to the end of the darned thing - talk about flogging a dead horse !

"<Ray>

Your job is to uncover a startling conspiracy, one that’s steeped in history, and which has global ramifications. "

****** But when I somehow overcame the tedium and eventually reached the end of the game, what did I find ? A TERRIBLE LET-DOWN !! After some devious mazes, the game just stopped - stone dead. There was no ending to speak of and no closure. What the heck was it all about ? Who saved the world from what - and how, and why ? What was all the convoluted waffle all about ? And how did all the extended rigmarole work out ?

Very sorry Jane Jensen but I feel like Hamlet's mother, Queen Gertrude, admonishing the garrulous Polonius " More matter with less art !!"

NVERY DISAPOINTING unfortunately. When I come to the end of a good game with a satisfying ending I often feel a sense of sadness that it is all over and no more fun to be had ! But with Moebius I just felt a sense of relief that the whole tedious affair was over . The only sadness I felt was for JJ, the "Queen of Quest Adventures" who IMHO wasted some marvellous gameplay & narrative on a frustrating and extremely disappointing game !

"<RAY>

But is it FUN?

Yes. Really.The main setup is interesting and intriguing. Malachi is a fascinating, if distant, character. The research puzzles are entertaining. The settings are far-flung and enjoyable. The puzzles make sense."

It goes without saying, from all the above, THAT FOR ME, THE GAME WAS NOT FUN.

And what made it even less so was the fact that brilliant Jane spoilt it - after all, her Gabriel Knight games and especially #2 are amongst my quite limited number of best games EVER !

6. Jehane

Jehane New Member

Just finished the game with about 10 hours total playtime and most of the time, I found it quite entertaining. Being a game by Jane Jensen, however, I expected a little more - a longer game, to start with, and a better ending. Also, I expected tougher riddles and puzzles. Now, I won't complain that the puzzles and riddles were pretty easy and straightforward in this game; I was simply surprised that I was able to beat a JJ game in such a short time and without much effort.

I liked doing the comparisons with historical personalities and analyzing people Malachi met but it was a bit overused - a little like the conjuring tricks Sam had to perform in Gray Matter or the infamous crate puzzles in Broken Sword 3 (ok, not THAT overused). I liked the idea, however, which is probably related to my interest in History in general. Also, I thought the idea of historical patterns repeating themselves was very intriguing; maybe JJ could have done more with that, had she had a bigger budget. At times, I had the feeling that the restricted budget held her back and that she had to cut down on some ideas. I always had the feeling - or maybe wished - that there was more behind all of this, that the story was more complex. If you strip away those expectations, you're left with a decent game; if you apply JJ standards, it's just average.

Some puzzles were really stupid, like the one where Malachi needs to go back to NY to retrieve two items, one of which he could have easily bought in Washington in order to talk to Dominique. This was highly ridiculous and illogical.

I have to agree with Len Green that the ending was pretty unsatisfying. When I finished Gabriel Knight 3 years ago, I was stunned and wanted to replay the game instantly - same with GK2 or The Lost Crown by Jonathan Boakes. I can't see myself replaying Moebius even though I still think the idea was interesting and even though I felt entertained by the game. But it won't make my personal top 5. Sorry, Ms. Jensen.

Also, I found myself warming to Malachi after several hours of playing; actually, I enjoyed his snarky remarks about the bad artwork people had in their homes, and I loved his cynicism. In the beginning, though, I thought him a right #$#%* - arrogant, aloof, knowing all, detached from everybody around him, without any friends whatsoever, though quite charming when he had to be. His bluntness was something I had to get used to; the longer I played, the more I liked him. He won't probably make it into my personal top 5 of adventure characters but he's definitely interesting and I think it was brave to choose a character that is so unlikeable the first time we meet him. Also, he never got boring like other characters (anyone remember Martin Holan from NiBiRu? Most boring character ever). And I liked that he changed over the course of the game and reached out to Walker towards the end. If we ever see a sequel, I'm sure that Malachi and David will be best buds :)

The game does have its downfalls. The often poorly animated character models definitely stand out and were, for me, a clear sign that the budget was very limited. Some of them looked a lot like the characters in GK3 - anyone else thought of that French tourist guide (can't remember her name right now - Madeleine?) when Malachi encountered Dominique? Her behaviour was very similar; even her face looked similar despite the black hair. I'm sure they could've done a lot better on the character animations had there been a larger budget; sometimes the facial expressions were quite good, though. And the surroundings were, at least most of the time, stunningly beautiful although I wish we would've seen more of Venice or, for that matter, Zurich and Paris.

What really astounded me was how easy this game was. Even the maze didn't pose a problem - and I'm really, really bad at mazes. In fact, I had the bloody things and tend to resort to a walkthrough whenever one of those things pops up. Not with this game. There were so few exits that it was a simple matter of trial and error until you got out. A bit tedious, yes, but as far as mazes go, this one was ok insofar as it didn't madden me and drive me to despair :) Still, I could have done without it, especially since you had to do it twice just to find yourself in yet another (easy) maze towards the end of the game.

All in all, I'd have to say that this is an entertaining game but I think that JJ can do a lot better. I know she can. If I had to rate this game, I'd probably give it a B.

7. Len Green

Len Green Member

Thanks for the very interesting description JEHANE !
    I agree with at least most of it - although I am somewhat ashamed to admit that it took me MUCH longer than 10 hours !! But I have always been the tortoise rather than the hare !!! Nevertheless I eventually get there just the same :) :) :)
    There have been criticisms of the game in some quarters for having many technical quirks in addition to the quaint graphics & animations of the main characters. Some players have even complained of multipln crashes - but I did not suffer a single one !
    I intend to describe my disappointment with the whole basic story behind the game and will do so in a separate post BUT TAKE CARE - it will be full of spoilers so don't read it if you haven't played the game but intend to do so !! :) :) :)

8. Jehane

Jehane New Member

Believe me, I was VERY surprised to see the credits roll after just ten hours - usually it takes me longer to finish a game, and this actually is the first Jane Jensen game that I could actually beat by myself without constantly using a walkthrough because I would get stuck. In fact, I had to peek at a walkthrough I think three times during the whole game just to find out that I had missed a hotspot :) It's just not a very difficult game; even if you take your time and look at everything, try to interact with everything and everybody, it flys by pretty fast. I really dreaded the maze and was astonished at how quickly it can be solved simply because there aren't that many exits in the various caves. Plus, you get hints. Still, I'll never like mazes. I think they're just there to annoy people and stretch a game's playtime :)

As far as technical problems go, I encountered those when installing the game. The DVD drive just kept buzzing and whirring so loudly that I was actually concerned it might be broken. When it had calmed down, it took a very long time until I could install the game - I think about 15 minutes or so from inserting the disc until the installer would be launched. Very irritating and annoying but apart from that, I haven't had any technical problems at all :)

9. Len Green

Len Green Member

THE FOLLOWING CONTAINS SPOILERS !

Moebius starts off more or less with protagonist Malachi Rector being invited to participate in some ill defined American Government project designed to save the USA, and apparently the whole world, from some nebulous catastrophe perpetrated by ill defined baddies. The project is introduced by a somewhat hazy US ultra secret hush hush high VIP called Amble Dexter who heads some sort of murky secret State branch known as FITA ! Malachi is recruited due to his phenomenal memory of history which hopefully will succeed in penetrating the secret fictional Moebius fantasy !

All this is very vague -Burt no matter, it is half way plausible. Dexter has a trophy clock on his desk inscribed with the (real) phrase coined by George Santayana "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it". This is apparently Jane Jensen's main motif throughout the whole game !?!

Now, although I am extremely interested in history & philosophy, I am very far from an expert in either subject. But I THINK (?) Santayana meant past EVENTS not PEOPLE ??? Please correct me if I'm wrong ! The case that stands out for me during my life time was Adolf Hitler's arrogant ambition to outdo Napoleon nearly 70 years ago by horrifically invading the USSR despite the terrible dangers of the merciless Russian winter - an error of judgment which sealed his and the Nazi's fate (Thank Goodness !).

Some years ago in the wonderful Gabriel Knight 2 Jane marvelously amalgamated historical fact (& fiction) with current events. Her brilliant welding together of some of the eccentricities of King Ludwig of Bavaria and composer Richard Wagner ( complete with an orchestral version of a fictitious 'lost' Wagner opera !) was pure genius - the scenes inside the fabulous Neuschwanstein castle/fortresswere brilliantly realistic - we intended to visit Neuschwanstein a few years ago from Switzerland but unfortunately couldn't make it :( :( :(

But Moebus hardly touches upon historical events but instead deals almost completely & solely with the biographies of some of the game's dramatis personae compared with the bios of certain outstanding historical personalities !! I'm sorry. but I found it to be illogical & unsatisfying. In the end the only result seems to be that a female sort of 'aristocrat' Helene Bernadotte is deemed to have similar characteristics, backgrounds and experiences to that of Livia Drusilla the wife of the fabulous Roman Caesar Augustus.

This seems to me to be excruciatingly thin :( How she is expected to save the world with a possible future marriage to a powerful Senator Markam beats me - especially since she is supposed to be in love and 3 months illicitly pregnant with a married fictitious President of France ??? In addition, Helene is somehow portrayed as being a 'good' person whereas the opposite is true of the real historical Livia Lcilla [ According to Robert Graves' I Claudius, Livia engineered the murder &/or deaths of the several possible inheritors after Augustus in iorder to make way as Caesar for her son Tiberius !! ]

The whole last (7tjh) chapter of the game is devoted to the predicable incarceration of Malachi Rector, his sidekick David Walker and the 'important extra special' Helene Bernadotte followed by their escape from unidentified rogue forces. Their escape via 2 mazes eventually succeeds and THAT ALONE peremptorily CONCLUDES THE GAME.

How, why, wherefore the main theme of the theoretical Moebius fantasy of similar personalities plays out, the ostensible objective of the game, is never explained I am still trying to figure it out :(

I'm very sorry to say that my heroine JJ has fallen down on this one which is a VERY great pity - and not excusable IMHO by ostensible limited budget.